Texas High School VASE (Visual Art Scholastic Event) is in its 25th year. The first VASE event was held in 1994 with just over 400 student entries; in 2018, over 35,000 artworks were entered in VASE. Students create artworks, write about their creative processes and understanding of visual art, and articulate information about their artwork during an interview with a VASE juror, who evaluates their work using a standards-based rubric. This program is designed to meet the following goals:
- To recognize exemplary Visual Arts achievement by high school students in Texas.
- To recognize quality high school art instruction, and quality student Visual Arts programs.
- To raise the awareness of school administrators the quality of their art programs, and the contributions of their art instructors.
- To help define high-quality, standards-based Visual Arts programs.
- To encourage students to pursue Visual Arts as a possible career path in post-secondary education.
- To provide students an environment of rigor & healthy Visual Arts competition in which to develop skills as Visual Artists.
The following students received the highest recognition at the regional VASE event and will be attending State VASE at San Marcos High School on April 27th.
From Klein High School: Lela Adcox, Hannah Cook, Juliana Garcia, Samia Imran, Joselyn Morin, Varvara Sufueva, teacher Dee Burgess; Brielle Pinegar, Ryan Parslely (2 entries) and Emily Tran, teacher Chinwe Carroll; Brooklyn Jones and Ana Rodriguez, teacher Jill Chauvin, Emma Marriner, Caleb Arguello, Corben Jimenez, Jalen Lee and Casey Hudgins, teacher Edith Gomez; and Schubert Leon, teacher Laura Menegaz.
From Klein Cain High School: Leah Guevara, Rabeeya Khan, Alyssa Mauz, Maya Poduval (2 entries), Random Wilson, teacher Joel Cook; Miranda Miller, teacher Arthur Deatly; Ashley Bock and Justin Ohlendorf, teacher Marisa Marsico.
From Klein Forest High School: Xenia Herrera and Theresa Than-trong, teacher Misty Crowe; Jill Nguyen (2 entries), teacher Alexa Murland; and Miguel Gutierrez, teacher Richard Cartaxo.
From Klein Oak High School: Basha Akan, Josie Brewer, Allison Maeker, teacher Ann Brunson, Payne Stiegman (2 entries), teacher Melanie Leslie, Tiffany Campbell, Annaell Dejesus, Lauren P Smith, and Charles Danna, teacher Jennifer Schiebel.
From Klein Collins High School: Trinity Leger and Malcolm Chan, teacher Mike Hall; Andrea Delgado, Autumn Smith, Ben Griffin and Baustin Hendon, teacher Chad Hardin; Hannah Riley, teacher Leah McWhorter; and Esther Ivery and Lainey Tran, teacher Tim Trammell.
Congratulations to all our talented students and their teachers!