7 Ways to Celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month
Now that we know the rich roots of National Hispanic Heritage Month, we can pay homage to and honor the culture and contributions of Hispanic Americans by partaking in the celebration! There are local activities going on throughout the month, but you can also celebrate from the comfort of your own home. Take a look below!
Hispanic Heritage Month in Houston
- The Casa Ramirez FOLKART Gallery in Houston will honor Hispanic Heritage Month with a new exhibit named “Nuestra Cultura Art and Culture.” It will feature paintings, sculptures, and crafts by regional artists. Admission is free! Visit the gallery’s website for more information.
- The Houston Public Library has a variety of events planned throughout the month that are sure to enlighten and entertain.
- Houston’s food scene is often regarded as the mecca of diversity. You don’t have to look far to dig into a satisfying, authentic meal with Hispanic roots. Pro tip: The Original Ninfa’s on Navigation is a great place to start!
DIY Hispanic Heritage Month
- Find your rhythm with a dance party. From tango, merengue, folk music, and Tex-Mex– this is the perfect opportunity to discuss the different styles of music and dance present across Hispanic cultures.
- If you’re not one for moving and shaking, HuffPost has a list of crafts by country to dive deep into culture with a creative twist.
- Aprende a hablar Español – learn to speak Spanish. There are a variety of FREE apps for all ages that you can use for this but we also have amazing Spanish teachers across the district that can point you in the right direction!
- You don’t have to travel to the Smithsonian Institute to admire Latino art thanks to their online exhibition, “Our America: The Latino Presence in American Art.” It contains works by works created by artists of Mexican, Cuban, Puerto Rican, and Dominican descent.
Did we miss something? If you have a creative way to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, share it with us on kleinisd.net/story!
Best Public Schools in Texas
Klein ISD has an established 81-year history of excellence and innovation in education with unique pathways for EVERY student in our care to ensure learners are college, career, military, and life ready. With recognition for STEM, athletics, fine arts, and academics from highly-esteemed organizations, it is clear that Our Shared Vision of every student entering with a promise and exiting with a purpose is a reality for EVERY student who walks through our doors. https://kleinisd.net/results
About Klein ISD
Klein ISD is a school district in Klein, Texas located in northwestern Harris County. The district spans approximately 87.5 square miles and serves more than 54,000 students in 33 elementary schools, 10 intermediate campuses, one high school program of choice, and 5 high schools.
Help Us Share Your Story
There are so many incredible individuals in the Klein Family making a lasting impact on our community. We want to recognize and celebrate our leaders and learners that are cultivating talent, building relationships, reimagining learning and making Promise2Purpose a reality daily. Share your story here: https://kleinisd.net/story