Klein, TX & Bethesda, MD—The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) has designated November 11-15, 2019, as National School Psychology Awareness (& Appreciation!) Week (SPAW). This year’s theme, “Find Your Focus” highlights how LSSPs help students identify strengths and areas of interest, develop persistence, see ideas and situations more clearly, and attend to important information in academic and social settings. In KISD, a team of nearly 50 Licensed Specialists in School Psychology (LSSPs) support our shared vision by knowing every student by name, strength, and need. LSSPs apply expertise in mental health, learning, and behavior to help children and youth succeed academically, socially, behaviorally, and emotionally by providing direct support to students, such as individualized learning and behavioral assessments to identify students’ strengths and needs, academic and behavioral interventions, counseling, and social skills training. LSSPs also consult with teachers, families, and other educators to improve support strategies and school-wide practices and policies.
Ways to help students “Find Their Focus” in the classroom and at home:
- Talk to your kids about their strengths and interests. What do they think they are good at? What activities are they interested in? What career path do they want to follow? Emphasize that learning and growing require trying new things and that success comes from small steps to a long-term goal.
- Encourage goal setting and mapping out a plan for achieving the goals. Talk with students about steps they have taken, what worked and what didn’t, and what they might do next.
- Praise attempts, as well as success, and make sure that you focus on the effort or hard work put into the success.
- Create an environment that allows children to explore building (playing with blocks, helping with projects, and more), drawing (crayons, finger paints, paper), and music.
- Help a child work through setbacks, or lack of self-confidence, by helping to identify negative thoughts that may suggest concerns about his or her ability to be successful. Help a child realize that setbacks are not permanent or all-encompassing.
For more information about how KISD LSSPs support our shared vision, please contact Emily Brooks, Lead LSSP (email@example.com) or Sally Fernandez, Coordinator of Appraisal and Psychological Services (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Best Public Schools in Texas
Klein ISD has an established 81-year history of excellence and innovation in education with unique pathways for EVERY student in our care to ensure learners are college, career, military, and life ready. With recognition for STEM, athletics, fine arts, and academics from highly-esteemed organizations, it is clear that Our Shared Vision of every student entering with a promise and exiting with a purpose is a reality for EVERY student who walks through our doors. https://kleinisd.net/results
About Klein ISD
Klein ISD is a school district in Klein, Texas located in northwestern Harris County. The district spans approximately 87.5 square miles and serves more than 54,000 students in one early childhood and pre-kindergarten center, one high school program of choice, 31 elementary schools, 10 intermediate campuses, and 5 high schools.
Help Us Share Your Story
There are so many incredible individuals in the Klein Family making a lasting impact on our community. We want to recognize and celebrate our leaders and learners that are cultivating talent, building relationships, reimagining learning and making Promise2Purpose a reality daily. Share your story here: https://kleinisd.net/story