Klein ISD Superintendent Dr. McGown’s End-of-Year Message
Dear Klein Community,
We ended the 2019-2020 school year in a much different way than we could have ever anticipated, and throughout this challenging time, our entire Klein community did what we do best—we came together to take good care of one another. I’m so grateful to all of our families for partnering with us to support our students’ learning and ensure that they continue to flourish and succeed.
Additionally, I want to thank our unwaveringly dedicated educators and employees for working tirelessly and reacting so thoughtfully to address our students’ needs during this unprecedented situation. Their response during the last quarter of the 19-20 school year includes these highlights:
- Nutrition and Food Services distributed more than 502,393 meals to the Klein Community to date.
- Bus drivers delivered more than 27,870 backpacks full of food and lessons through the Backpack Buddies program in partnership with the Houston Food Bank.
- Information Technology issued over 3500 devices (made possible by our community’s overwhelming support of the 2015 Bond!) and expanded our WiFi reach to ensure students had access to At-Home Learning content.
- Custodians and maintenance crews continued to keep 9.4 million square feet of Klein ISD facilities clean, sanitized, and in good repair, ready for students to return safely to school in the future.
- Teachers, counselors, nurses, librarians, administrators, and support staff connected virtually with over 54,000 students and families to provide continued academic and socioemotional support.
In addition to being so proud of all of our Klein students for working diligently during At-Home Learning, I would especially like to honor our Class of 2020. These graduating seniors have missed memorable moments as a class and have persevered with grace. Along with their families, teachers, and principals, I am so incredibly proud of these young men and women and wish them the very best as they begin their journey beyond high school.
Although there have been many COVID-19 related challenges to overcome as a district in wrapping up the 2019-2020 school year, we have many great achievements to celebrate! Take a look at just a few of the celebrations we achieved together as a Klein Family and community:
- Innovation Awards Winner by the Houston Business Journal
- District of Distinction by the Texas Art Education Association
- District of Distinction by District Administration
- 2020 Best Communities for Music Education for 9 consecutive years by the NAMM Foundation
- 17 students named All-State musicians by the Texas Music Educators Association
- Zwink Elementary named 2020 National School of Character
- TEA Commissioner of Education visits Klein ISD, sees ‘excellence in every classroom’
- 3 Klein ISD Students Awarded National Merit Scholarships
- Klein Cain High School Receives Tommy Tune Award
- Klein ISD Honors College Pathway Launching Fall 2020
- Caring for the Community One Meal at a Time
- Pre-Enrollment for Eligible Students in Full-Day Pre-K Beginning the 2020-2021 School Year
As we conclude this school year, I know that many of you have questions about what will happen in the next few months as we prepare to start the 2020-2021school year and remain mindful of the health, safety, and well-being of students and staff. You can expect regular updates beginning next week about the roadmap to reopening Klein ISD for the upcoming school year.
Thank you for your partnership, flexibility, and support throughout the 2019-2020 school year and for taking care of one another to keep our Klein Family strong.
Dr. Jenny McGown
Best Public Schools in Texas
Klein ISD has an established 81-year history of excellence and innovation in education with unique pathways for EVERY student in our care to ensure learners are college, career, military, and life ready. With recognition for STEM, athletics, fine arts, and academics from highly-esteemed organizations, it is clear that Our Shared Vision of every student entering with a promise and exiting with a purpose is a reality for EVERY student who walks through our doors. https://kleinisd.net/results
About Klein ISD
Klein ISD is a school district in Klein, Texas located in northwestern Harris County. The district spans approximately 87.5 square miles and serves more than 54,000 students in 33 elementary schools, 10 intermediate campuses, one high school program of choice, and 5 high schools.
Help Us Share Your Story
There are so many incredible individuals in the Klein Family making a lasting impact on our community. We want to recognize and celebrate our leaders and learners that are cultivating talent, building relationships, reimagining learning and making Promise2Purpose a reality daily. Share your story here: https://kleinisd.net/story