Employee Update #2: Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD
Dear Klein ISD Employees,
We hope you are safe, healthy, and well-rested. Thank you for your dedication and hard work in supporting our students and community last school year as we pivoted during the spring semester to face the challenges of the COVID-19 crisis. Your collective effort continues to demonstrate an unwavering commitment to our students and their families in continuing to meet their educational and wellness needs.
We know that you have been anticipating Klein ISD’s reopening plans. Despite the changing circumstances and challenges presented by continued public health uncertainty, Klein ISD remains committed to providing the best possible work environment for staff members and outstanding educational learning experiences for every student.
In this update:
- Klein On-Campus or Klein Online
- Health & Safety Expectations
- Employee Survey #2
- Who do I contact if I have questions?
In our Roadmap to Reopening, Klein ISD prioritizes both the safety of students and staff, as well as the delivery of high-quality teaching and learning experiences that focus on excellent and equitable outcomes for all students. Please be assured that we are committed to supporting our employees in navigating this challenging time together.
Klein On-Campus or Klein Online
In preparing for the new school year, we’ve taken the lessons we learned from our rapid response last spring and refined them to face the persisting challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. After listening and gathering feedback from our students and families, as well as nearly 3,800 employees who participated in the June 2020 reopening survey and/or listening sessions with Superintendent Dr. McGown, and carefully examining current and ever-evolving guidance from local health officials and the Texas Education Agency, Klein ISD has determined it best to offer our Klein ISD families a choice of two learning options for the 2020-2021 school year: Klein On-Campus and Klein Online.
Community health data continues to change in our Klein ISD community, and we are continuously monitoring this information and adjusting our plans accordingly. We are sharing these preliminary plans with the understanding that as we get closer to August 19, 2020, plans could change based on conditions.
The American Academy of Pediatrics “strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school.” In listening to feedback from our families and employees, we know there are many in Klein ISD who are very much looking forward to students physically returning to school on-campus when school resumes on August 19, 2020. We also know that there are families and employees who have concerns about students physically returning to school due to preexisting health conditions or other reasons, which is why online learning that is facilitated by a certified Klein ISD teacher is an important option and will be available. Klein ISD will support all families in whatever decision is best for their children, and we will support our employees in navigating the next steps in the Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD.
Klein On-Campus: Students attend school 5 days a week in person at their zoned campus.*
- In-person teaching and learning are available for students on campus following a student’s traditional schedule.
- Students will follow their daily schedule, including all courses selected and/or assigned, as well as extracurricular activities.
- Students who require support and interventions will receive them in person.
- Grading guidelines will be similar for Klein On-campus and Klein Online.
- Students will be required to adhere to evolving Klein ISD health and safety expectations established for the safety of students and staff within our schools.
- TEA Guidelines: Students in grades PK-12 will wear face coverings on buses, hallways, common areas, and when social distancing is not feasible, including in classrooms, to the extent it is developmentally appropriate. This applies to both school (indoor and outdoor) and bus settings.
*If COVID-19-related disruptions arise throughout the year, school buildings may be closed for intermittent periods of time. If a campus is closed to in-person instruction, students at the impacted school will transition to Klein Online for the period of closure.
Klein Online: Students attend school 5 days a week at home in a virtual learning environment.
Students must have access to the internet at home. Klein ISD is exploring options to assist families who need access.
Students must have a device for their online learning. Families of elementary-aged students without a device in the home will have an opportunity to request a loaner device from Klein ISD.
- Klein Online is fundamentally different in design from the Klein At-Home Learning experience that returning Klein ISD students experienced at the end of the 2019-2020 school year.
- Students will have digital access through Schoology to all their courses, as well as the option to participate in extracurricular activities on campus.
- Students will engage daily in 100% virtual, online learning with Klein ISD certified teachers facilitating students’ learning and coursework.
- Students may have periods of daily, live instruction with certified teachers, as well as periods of self-paced, independent learning.
- As is the case for Klein On-campus, parents and caregivers are expected to be engaged with their children’s education but are not expected to serve as their children’s primary teacher of the academic curriculum.
- A designated daily schedule for online instruction will be provided to all Klein Online students that they will be expected to follow. Attendance will be taken for all students every day.
- Grading guidelines will be similar for Klein On-campus and Klein Online.
- Secondary students (grades 6-12) will have access to Career & Technical Education, Dual Credit, Advanced Placement, and International Baccalaureate coursework through Klein Online as appropriate. Some courses/programs may require admission and on-campus activities throughout the semester.
- Klein Online will follow all updated UIL guidelines for before and after school activities, including all fine arts and athletics.
- Students who require additional support and interventions will receive those via video/phone conferencing based on the expectations and assessment of Klein ISD certified educators.
Scheduling determinations for employees will be made once families indicate whether their students will be attending Klein On-campus or Klein Online. Families should indicate their choice by July 24, 2020.
All employees who have a contract or a Letter of Reasonable Assurance are assured employment for the 2020-21 school year, regardless of how many students select Klein On-Campus or Klein Online. Please be assured that we are committed to supporting our employees in navigating this challenging time together.
Health & Safety Expectations
Here are some of the health & safety expectations for Klein On-Campus for the 2020-2021 school year. As conditions change, these health guidelines will be modified as advised by local, state, and national officials.
Thank you again to the over 3,800 employees who participated in our first survey in June 2020. Now that more information has been shared regarding reopening plans, we would like to provide our employees with a second survey to gather updated feedback in order to provide the best possible work environment for our staff.
Employee Survey #2 is optional and opens July 10, 2020, and ends at 5 p.m. on July 20, 2020.
Who do I contact if I have questions?
We know you may have many questions about the upcoming school year. As we continue to gather information from state and local authorities for the return to school, we will continue to send employee updates with all new information. Your principal or department supervisor has been involved with and informed of these plans in advance of this communication and will be happy to support you. You can also ask questions and access our comprehensive FAQs by visiting https://support.kleinisd.net.
Klein ISD is committed to clearly communicating information from our state and local officials that determine how a school or the district will support the health and safety of all students and staff in our care.
We are grateful for your patience, dedication, and resilience during these unprecedented times, as this situation has evolved since early March. We look forward to the 2020-21 school year and when we can all be together again.
The Human Resource Services Team
Best Public Schools in Texas
Klein ISD has an established 81-year history of excellence and innovation in education with unique pathways for EVERY student in our care to ensure learners are college, career, military, and life ready. With recognition for STEM, athletics, fine arts, and academics from highly-esteemed organizations, it is clear that Our Shared Vision of every student entering with a promise and exiting with a purpose is a reality for EVERY student who walks through our doors. https://kleinisd.net/results
About Klein ISD
Klein ISD is a school district in Klein, Texas located in northwestern Harris County. The district spans approximately 87.5 square miles and serves more than 54,000 students in 33 elementary schools, 10 intermediate campuses, one high school program of choice, and 5 high schools.
Help Us Share Your Story
There are so many incredible individuals in the Klein Family making a lasting impact on our community. We want to recognize and celebrate our leaders and learners that are cultivating talent, building relationships, reimagining learning and making Promise2Purpose a reality daily. Share your story here: https://kleinisd.net/story