Employee Update #4: Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD
We hope that you and your family are safe and healthy, and we remain grateful for your continued support as we prepare the Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD.
In this update you will find:
- Klein ISD will begin school on August 19 in Klein Online
- Employee FAQ & Reporting to Work
- A Day in the Life of Klein Online
- What should I do to get ready to teach in Klein Online?
Klein ISD will begin school on August 19 in Klein Online
Unfortunately, the prevalence of the virus in our community continues to be such that the Harris County Public Health shared publicly this week that it is not yet safe to open schools to in-person learning at this time or in the near future and has urged all school districts in Harris County to begin the school year online until data supports a safe return to in-person learning.
Additionally, UIL has modified and postponed activities until the start date of September 7, 2020, out of an abundance of caution for the health and safety of participating students and staff. While this continues to be a fluid situation, we remain committed to the health and safety of our students and staff.
Therefore, Klein ISD will begin the 20-21 school year on August 19, 2020 with all students in Klein Online. Currently, we are planning for students who selected Klein On-campus to begin in-person learning no earlier than September 9, 2020. After August 24, 2020, we will reassess conditions and communicate our updated plans for a safe return to on-campus learning for Klein On-Campus students.
We are grateful for the over 5,800 employees who participated in Employee Survey #2, and thank you for all the questions, comments, and suggestions you have submitted through our feedback form. We continue to carefully review questions and have created a Frequently Asked Questions section for employees on KNET. We will continue to update this document as new questions arise and as the district continues to adapt plans to ever-changing conditions.
Reporting to Work Current Guidelines
Under guidance from local officials, Klein ISD will be starting school on August 19 with all students and teachers participating in Klein Online. The plan at this time based on current conditions and orders is:
- All teachers and instructional aides will report to work virtually on August 10. Campuses will be open if teachers or instructional aides are unable to meet the remote work expectations from home and want to work on campus while strictly adhering to all health and safety requirements for employees.
- Other clerical and professional staff will work with their principals on a schedule for building coverage.
- District employees will be expected to report to facilities and will work with their supervisors on their schedules.
At this time, after the time period for 100% Klein Online expires, the plan is that all teachers and staff will be expected to work from district facilities. If an employee falls into one of the high-risk categories, they can request a work accommodation. Accommodations can include a variety of options including teaching online courses without students in a classroom. For employees who live with others who fall into a high-risk category or have other situations that are not medical in nature, they will be able to request a temporary modified work assignment. Requests for accommodations or temporary modified work assignments will be reviewed through an interactive process with the Human Resource Services department. Remote work will be reserved for employees who have to quarantine, who experience a school closure, or for whom other accommodations or modifications will not work as determined through the interactive process and considering the needs of the District.
More information, including developing daily instructional schedules, will be coming soon about specific duties for your role in the district from your principal or direct supervisor.
A Day in the Life of Klein Online
We know you have questions as to what a day in the life of Klein Online might look like. Klein Online will be very different in design from the At-Home Learning developed in March 2020. In Klein Online, educators will personalize learning experiences and meet students’ unique needs, just as they would if they were face-to-face with learners in a school building.
- Teachers will create daily lessons and meet with students live online to teach, along with independent learning time structured by the teachers.
- Students will be expected to be engaged daily as evidenced by access to Schoology, daily progress via student-teacher interaction and completion of assignments.
- Students will be required to attend live lessons at specific times, communicated by individual teachers according to grade level and course. Attendance will be taken daily by each teacher.
- Daily learning schedules will be provided and will inform students and families to know what to expect and plan accordingly in order to meet learning and attendance expectations.
- Grading for all courses will follow the same grading policy as the courses in the face-to-face model. According to TEA guidance, the grading policies for remote instruction must be consistent with the District’s grading policies for on-campus assignments.
- Klein ISD is required to provide the same curriculum, the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), to our Klein Online students. The same level of rigorous instruction will be provided. Assignments and assessments may look different due to the nature of online learning; however, learning expectations and mastering the TEKS is the same for both Klein Online and Klein On-Campus.
- Schoology is the designated learning platform that all PK-12 students will use to connect to their courses for Klein Online.
To help visualize this learning environment, we have developed videos of what a day in the life of Klein Online might look like for elementary and secondary students.
What should I do to get ready to teach in Klein Online?
Schoology is Klein’s learning management system that will be used exclusively for Klein Online. We are happy to learn from Employee Survey #2 that many teachers have used this platform and are confident in using it with students. If you are new to Schoology, need more training, or just want a refresher, please take a look at the Schoology Checklist below to determine which professional learning experience will best meet your needs. Additionally, time will be provided during back to school campus professional development for all staff to teach and support students in Klein Online. Finally, this Schoology Checklist is available for you should you wish to begin self-paced professional learning.
Questions and Support
Should you have questions for the District about anything related to COVID-19 and the Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD, please use the contact form located at kleinisd.net/contact for the quickest response. For additional resources for our Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD, please visit https://support.kleinisd.net.
Klein ISD is committed to communicating information from our state and local officials that determine how a school or the district will support the health and safety of all students and staff in our care. We are grateful for your patience, dedication, and resilience during these unprecedented times.
Best Public Schools in Texas
Klein ISD has an established 81-year history of excellence and innovation in education with unique pathways for EVERY student in our care to ensure learners are college, career, military, and life ready. With recognition for STEM, athletics, fine arts, and academics from highly-esteemed organizations, it is clear that Our Shared Vision of every student entering with a promise and exiting with a purpose is a reality for EVERY student who walks through our doors. https://kleinisd.net/results
About Klein ISD
Klein ISD is a school district in Klein, Texas located in northwestern Harris County. The district spans approximately 87.5 square miles and serves more than 54,000 students in 33 elementary schools, 10 intermediate campuses, one high school program of choice, and 5 high schools.
Help Us Share Your Story
There are so many incredible individuals in the Klein Family making a lasting impact on our community. We want to recognize and celebrate our leaders and learners that are cultivating talent, building relationships, reimagining learning and making Promise2Purpose a reality daily. Share your story here: https://kleinisd.net/story