Update #6: Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD
- Update #1: Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD
- Update #2: Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD
- Update #3: Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD
- Update #4: Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD
- Update #5: Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD
- Update #6: Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD
- Update #7: Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD
- Update #8: Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD
We continue to plan for a successful 2020-2021 school year in Klein ISD, and we sincerely appreciate your patience as we receive ever-evolving guidance from our state and local officials regarding how to provide a safe and excellent learning environment for our students, teachers, and staff. We remain fully committed to clearly communicating information regarding how Klein ISD will support the health and safety of all students and staff in our care.
In this update, you’ll find:
- Klein ISD will begin school on August 19 in Klein Online
- Family Choice Enrollment Window Extended to July 31, 2020
- A Day in the Life of Klein Online
- Updated FAQs available now on https://support.kleinisd.net
Klein ISD will begin school on August 19 in Klein Online
Unfortunately, the prevalence of the virus in our community continues to be such that the Harris County Public Health shared publicly this week that it is not yet safe to open schools to in-person learning at this time or in the near future and has urged all school districts in Harris County to begin the school year online until data supports a safe return to in-person learning.
Additionally, UIL has modified and postponed activities until the start date of September 7, 2020, out of an abundance of caution for the health and safety of participating students and staff. While this continues to be a fluid situation, we remain committed to the health and safety of our students and staff.
Therefore, Klein ISD will begin the 2020-2021 school year on August 19, 2020, with all students in Klein Online. Currently, we are planning for students who selected Klein On-campus to begin in-person learning no earlier than September 9, 2020. After August 24, 2020, we will reassess conditions and communicate our updated plans for a safe return to on-campus learning for Klein On-Campus students.
Family Choice Enrollment Window Extended to July 31, 2020
It is our hope that all students will return to in-person learning as soon as it is determined safe to do so by local conditions. Please note that the option families choose, Klein Online or Klein On-Campus, during annual student enrollment, will take effect once students are allowed to return safely to campus face-to-face.
For those families who have not yet made their selection of Klein On-Campus or Klein Online for the 2020-2021 school year, the selection window has been extended to Friday, July 31, 2020, at 5:00 p.m., exclusive of Saturday, July 25 and Sunday, July 26, 2020, when Skyward Family Access is not available. Please visit http://kleinisd.net/update as soon as possible to help Klein ISD plan for a successful start of the school year for students and staff, including ensuring all students have internet and device access for our online start to the school year.
A Day in the Life of Klein Online
We know you have questions as to what a day in the life of Klein Online might look like. Klein Online will be very different in design from the At-Home Learning developed in March 2020. In Klein Online, educators will personalize learning experiences and meet students’ unique needs, just as they would if they were face-to-face with learners in a school building.
- Teachers will create daily lessons and meet with students live online to teach, along with independent learning time structured by the teachers.
- Students will be expected to be engaged daily as evidenced by access to Schoology, daily progress via student-teacher interaction, and completion of assignments.
- Students will be required to attend live lessons at specific times, communicated by individual teachers according to grade level and course. Attendance will be taken daily by each teacher.
- Daily learning schedules will be provided and will inform students and families to know what to expect and plan accordingly in order to meet learning and attendance expectations.
- Grading for all courses will follow the same grading policy as the courses in the face-to-face model. According to TEA guidance, the grading policies for remote instruction must be consistent with the District’s grading policies for on-campus assignments.
- Klein ISD is required to provide the same curriculum, the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS), to our Klein Online students. The same level of rigorous instruction will be provided. Assignments and assessments may look different due to the nature of online learning; however, learning expectations and mastering the TEKS is the same for both Klein Online and Klein On-Campus.
- Schoology is the designated learning platform that all PK-12 students will use to connect to their courses for Klein Online.
To help visualize this learning environment, we have developed videos of what a day in the life of Klein Online might look like for elementary and secondary students. Daily learning schedules for students will be provided in future communications from your campus prior to the start of school.
Listening to you and updating FAQs
Thank you for sharing your questions as we continue to plan in an ever-changing environment.
Based on your feedback, we continue to add new questions and answers on the Roadmap to Reopening Klein ISD FAQ. These additions will be marked as NEW until the next FAQ release:
- Device availability
- CTE and other specialized courses
- Fine Arts, Athletics, and Extracurricular
- Special Populations
Questions & Support
We know you may have questions about the upcoming school year. As we continue to gather information from state and local authorities for the return to school, we will continue to send updates to families with all new information.
Klein ISD is committed to clearly communicating information from our state and local officials that determine how a school or the district will support the health and safety of all students and staff in our care. Regardless of changing circumstances and with a focus on the health and wellness of staff and students, Klein ISD will continue to provide an excellent learning experience for every student.
Community health data continues to change in our Klein ISD community, and we are continuously monitoring this information and adjusting our plans accordingly. We are sharing these preliminary plans with the understanding that as we get closer to August 19, 2020, plans could change based on conditions. We are committed to keeping all Klein ISD families updated and informed of any potential changes to our reopening plans.
Best Public Schools in Texas
Klein ISD has an established 81-year history of excellence and innovation in education with unique pathways for EVERY student in our care to ensure learners are college, career, military, and life ready. With recognition for STEM, athletics, fine arts, and academics from highly-esteemed organizations, it is clear that Our Shared Vision of every student entering with a promise and exiting with a purpose is a reality for EVERY student who walks through our doors. https://kleinisd.net/results
About Klein ISD
Klein ISD is a school district in Klein, Texas located in northwestern Harris County. The district spans approximately 87.5 square miles and serves more than 54,000 students in 33 elementary schools, 10 intermediate campuses, one high school program of choice, and 5 high schools.
Help Us Share Your Story
There are so many incredible individuals in the Klein Family making a lasting impact on our community. We want to recognize and celebrate our leaders and learners that are cultivating talent, building relationships, reimagining learning and making Promise2Purpose a reality daily. Share your story here: https://kleinisd.net/story